2009-03-02

Glad that day was over

Grant is down with a sore throat. He doesn't get sick often. That meant I am on walking duty until he feels better.

On Saturday afternoon Rio and I went on a sunny walk. We stopped by to visit with a lady who lives up some stairs. Rio really really didn't want to go up the stairs but he did it. It turned out that she had 10 of her grandchildren with her so Rio had some extra attention. On the way down the stairs Rio decided to jump down the last group and when he stopped he was holding up his back right leg. Yikes! I was worried that he had broken it. I checked it out and nothing seemed to cause him pain. In a minute he was walking down the street.

Then on the way home we were walking up a small alley that runs behind our house on a tiny sidewalk. There was a lady on the sidewalk next to a red Chevy pickup truck. As we were passing her a pit bull type dog bolted out of an open door and ran straight towards Rio.

Rio really really really doesn't like dogs in his face and both were growling and getting quite agitated. Rio was on his leash but the other dog wasn't even wearing a collar. The owner came out and I told him to get his dog off my dog or I would kick his dog. The guy got really ignorant and said he would kick me. He told me to be on my way.

The nerve. That's exactly what I was trying to do, peacefully, when his uncollared vicious dog attacked Rio. I was so tempted to call Animal Control but I think this guy is the kind of jerk who would escalate things.

I hate that I have to be super defensive just walking around my house. I was glad Rio was wearing his coat because it provided him extra protection.

That and Rio's pain is back. I really was glad when this day was over. Rio, who lives in the now, was fine once we were back home.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like you had a trying weekend hope Rio and Grant are Ok as well
    on a better note your adventures would make an interesting book
    Be well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I was inspired by a book, or a movie from a book, Marley and Me. I thought what a great idea to capture the moments of this incredible experience.

    We haven't met up with any nasty dogs lately, but Grant still has his cold and I'm fighting one. Life goes on.

    ReplyDelete